Friday, September 23, 2005

dereliction of duty

On the odd chance that anyone is paying attention, perhaps sitting in a room (the kind you rent by the week) under a bare light bulb hopped up on crystal meth and alternately spitting teeth and reading random blogs, allow me to apologize for the long absence in posts.

That was a long sentence.

I have excuses, brilliant ones, all of them, all about working full time and being a full-time college student and the pitfalls of being too dumb to refuse a side-job as a painter (my back has been in pain for the better part of a week from bending over to redip my roller), but I'm not sure excuses are really what anyone is seeking out of life. Shit, for some, dry ground would do.

So let's move on, shall we, in the great American spirit of reconstruction and collective effort? That's a spirit that occasionally lapses, at times fatally, but if a brilliant speechwriter and a second chance are applied in the nick of time the prognosis can be virtually reversed.

Somehow this blog has gotten all surliness and no veganism. That must be Texas and Louisiana exerting their influence northward. Well, in case you need something to eat while that happens, something to munch on, perhaps, while you watch the hurricane coverage, I have good news...

Despite an earlier post on this very blog (Monday, August 1st, 2005), it turns out that the good people at Health is Wealth Foods got smart and eliminated the offending egg albumen from their yummy junk food products, and even have a "vegan products" section on their website (see previous link), although I wonder if this was always there and I didn't bother to sleuth quite as hard.

I guess the lesson to be learned here, aside from the obvious lesson - egg albumen does not equal food, is that maybe letter-writing campaigns really do pay off sometimes. Maybe the man is listening, because maybe the man is some kind of 1960's throwback hippy sometimes. I don't know. I do know, however, that I wrote some big thing about not eating junkfood when I found out about the offensive ingredient, but really, I'm human too, and as such am prone to eating garbage here and there (sometimes literally, sometimes not), and so am willing to say the following:

I salute you, Health is Wealth, for making junkfood yummy, affordable, and vegan once again.

---------------------------------------------------

Gardeners: How are your squashes? My butternuts (what?!) are ready...stay tuned for autumnal recipes, now that the season is offical and all.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nathan said...

I wait with bated breath - and a garden full of nutternut squash - for your recipes.

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home