Sunday, October 09, 2005

The Surly Vegan's Famous Black Bean Soup

We made a batch of this the other night, and it's perfect for the cooler autumn weather. It goes well with a glass of whiskey or a pot of French Press coffee.

INGREDIENTS:
3 cups cooked black beans, in their juice (you can also use canned if you prefer)
4-5 small potatoes, diced
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 -1/2 cup frozen corn, more if you like
1/4 cup vegetable broth (vegan bouillon works well also)
2/3 tbsp hot sauce, preferably something smoky, like chipotle*
4 tbsp soymilk
1-2 tbsp soy margarine
1 small handful cilantro, chopped (more or less to taste)
salt and pepper to taste

*the other night we soaked a dried chipotle in hot water for a while and threw the whole deal in the soup, water and all, and it ws great.

PROCEDURE:
Bring beans to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer. Add potatoes, vegetable broth, garlic, hot sauce, soy milk and margarine. Stir occasionally to keep bottom from burning (zing!). When potatoes seem partially softened, add onions and corn. Keep stirring, cooking until corn is hot and onions are desired tenderness. Add salt and pepper. Serve hot, preferably with saltines. Enjoy.

[EDIT 10.17.05 - Please note that it's 3 cups cooked black beans. I'm not sure how many dry ones that means you have to start with, but using canned works fine as well, or maybe you are going to use black beans for another recipe, or maybe you know how that reverse conversion works? At any rate, don't start with 3 cups of dried black beans, because I don't have the slightest idea how many cooked beans you'll end up with if you do. Also, I increased the number of potatoes from 2-3 to 4-5, so, you know, if you wrote this shit down already, uh, be advised.]

This is pretty much the first recipe I ever created and wrote down, and to date it's the only such recipe. It's not rocket science, obviously, so feel free to tweak it at will. What's great about it is that most of the ingredients go in at once, so when you're doing your prep you can just throw everything into the same bowl or pile or whatever. The soy milk and margarine and bean water combine to create this great creaminess, which balances nicely with the smokiness of the hot sauce.

Let me know how it works out.

Also, if you've got some of your own recipes to share with the world, send them my way, won't you? I'll be sure to credit your grandma or uncle or whomever, and I'm pretty good at keeping my snide comments to a minimum.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I was takeing a crap at the Seward Cafe the other morning morning and you or somebody else had thesurlyvegan.blogspot.com chalked on the board. Anyway, this recipe looks good, are the three cups of beans already cooked or is it three cups dried black beans? thanks!!!

12:14 AM  
Blogger the surly vegan said...

I used to crap at the Seward Cafe all the time. Probably that's because I worked there at the time, but I do think there's something about the combination of Butcher Boy Soy Oil and Peace Coffee that really gets the ol' bowels moving. I'd probably be a skinnier dude if I still worked there; of course, some of that might be related to the abject poverty that would no doubt be my station were that the case.

At any rate, 3 cups before you cook them, I think. It's been a while, and last time I just used canned beans. Like I said, this is a pretty fluid recipe, so if it seems like too many or too few beans, feel free to adjust the amounts of everything else to make things seem right. How's that for not really answering your question?

10:08 PM  
Blogger the surly vegan said...

I was wrong. 3 cups after they've been cooked. Also, you'll want to use more like 4-5 potatoes. Hopefully you haven't started yet. I'll edit the recipe now to reflect this.

11:04 PM  
Blogger mym(e) said...

I made this soup yesterday, and it definitely is a winner! :o) I had no hot sauce, so I used cayenne pepper instead. And I pureed the soup before adding the corn, because that's the way I like my soup. Even my bean-hating brother liked this.

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home