Sunday, December 04, 2005

apparently, i'm not all that bright

I just discovered yesterday that vellum is made from calf skins. For those not in the know, vellum is a rather beautiful paper. If you look closely, you can kind of get the idea here, although it's difficult to really capture its beauty in a photograph.

The kicker is that my wife and I used vellum stock in our wedding invitations, made by the very able Jay Ryan and his Bird Machine Industries, and while Jay is a hell of a guy, he could have said something.

Or not. Because how was he to know? First of all, it's not his job to be watching out for the vegans, it was on us to know what was what. Not only that, but I think that our society is so far removed from the production of most things that we are fairly clueless about how abhorrent a process it can be a lot of times, even when no animals are involved at all.

So I don't know, it's still pretty paper, much like human skin might make a nice lampshade, or it smells good when I pass a steakhouse, etc.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home