Sunday, December 11, 2005

comments section comes alive!

I can count the number of faithful readers of this blog on one hand, and that's fine, it gives me something to do (the counting, that is, not the blogging). Here's what Sui Generis had to say regarding the current conversation that seems to be happening here (as usual, my blowhard response follows):

"Since we got a dialogue goin'...


I think the post was well written. The question of necessity is the crucial one, along with the question of choice. Carnivorous animals don't choose to kill and devour other animals--they simply do so because of their instincts and the training they received from their parents.

There is no moral decision made by the animals wherein they weigh the pros and cons of a carnivorous diet. But we, as humans, are capable of making up our own minds. We don't have to follow blindly what we have been taught and once we see that we don't have to eat animals, or don't want to eat animals, then we have the ability to actually STOP eating animals.

That is an important distinction that sets us apart from other animals--such as a starving bear. If you are starving and see a fat, meaty bear, then you have a decision to make. If a starving bear stumbles across you, on the other hand, it has no such moral qualms! (side note: at this point, an attempt to explain to the bear that humans are at the "top of the food chain" will likely be irrefutably denied by the bear.)"


Well put. I guess it comes down to what I've been saying all along - upbringing. Let's face it, most of our friends that walk on all fours come from bad home situations. If their parents would just invest a little bit more...

Okay, just kidding, and I realize that my sarcasm may have sounded like a personal attack, which it is most definitely not intended to be, I just saw an opportunity there regarding "the training they receive from their parents."

There's a lot I don't understand about how humans ended up the way we did, and I'm certainly no scientist. At times I can really buy into the idea that we are the most evolved, and at other times we seem by far to be the most ridiculous, evil species ever to slither across the planet.

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, but maybe if we can develop that argument and translate it into bear, some of us will stand a chance.

If I'm honest, though, I'd probably eat the bear if I was starving and came across one, although, if I'm that hungry, killing a bear might be rather difficult. Just between me and the internet, I don't hold heat.

--------------------------------------------------
by the way, the other two participants in this conversation, nathan and sui generis, are also nerdy blogger types, which is probably how they found their way here.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nathan said...

Been reading about ruminants and grass-fed/pastured beef. From an environmental standpoint pastured is better but not even close to sustainable for the population and it still takes a lot of land that gets damaged by hooves and shit.

Environmental arguments work best on me and I'm getting closer to being convinced.

Then again, I had a really tasty burger on Friday night. (The Doolittle's Bleu Burger, if'n you're interested...) So, my support for our family eating less meat shall be pursued with renewed vigor, but not yet with an "Everything must GO!" attitude.

The environment is why I ride my bike. All the (many!) other good things about cycling are mere gravy. I'm pretty lazy, but I will put forth a "reasonable" effort for a good cause.

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home